Drop-Bottom Furnaces, Electrically Heated or Gas-Fired
|Fully automatic drop-bottom furnace with movable water bath, including holding position for charging and unloading crane|
Drop-bottom furnaces are used for solution annealing and subsequent rapid quenching of aluminum alloys. In particular, with thin-walled aluminum components quench delay times of just 5 seconds from when the door begins to open until complete immersion in the quench tank are required. Generally, these requirements can be met only with this furnace design. The drop-bottom furnace stands on a base so that a quench tank can be positioned directly below the furnace. For the quenching process, the furnace bottom moves horizontally to the side. The loaded basket drops out of the furnace into the quench tank guided by wire cables. The lifting system can be controlled automatically or semi-automatically. Because of the broad working temperature range, drop-bottom furnace plants allow complete T6 heat treatments, consisting of solution annealing, quenching, and artificial aging in just one furnace.
Drop-bottom design alternatives
- Drop-bottom furnace with stationary quench tank as a cost-effective, space saving variant
- Drop-bottom furnace with movable quench tank, including holding position for charging and optional unloading crane
- Customized designs with several furnaces, several tanks and several holding positions for fully automatic processing of several charges
- Working temperature range between 80 °C and 600 °C
- Working temperature can be extended to 650 °C
- Heating generally electric; direct or indirect gas heating is also possible
- Air flow, depending on space conditions and charge geometry, horizontal or vertical
- Compliance with relevant aircraft and automobile standards, such as AMS 2750 E, AMS 2770/2771, or CQI-9 as an option
|Fully automatic drop-bottom furnace plant, consisting of two drop-bottom furnaces, movable water bath and several loading and unloading positions|
Water or polymer quench tanks have a single stainless steel wall and have an integrated circulation system of the quenching medium for effective removal of energy from the charge. Temperature and level are monitored. All tanks have connections for water feed and drainage and a heat exchanger. On request, the quench tank can be equipped with a controlled heating to preheat the quenching medium and/or a heat exchanger for cooling. If the quenching medium is to be kept continuously at a high temperature, a tank insulation with or without cover is recommended.
Based on Siemens PLC technology the system is operated conveniently with PC-based Nabertherm Control Center software. Components can also be moved manually via a Mobile Panel.
Customized drop-bottom designs are tailored and manufactured to customer needs.
|Size examples||Tmax||Work space dimensions in mm||Volume||Outer dimensions2 in mm||Heating power||Electrical|
|Model||°C||w||d||h||in l||H||in kW1||connection*|
|1Depending on furnace design connected load might be higher *Please see page 79 for more information about supply voltage 2External dimensions vary when furnace is equipped with additional equipment. Dimensions on request.**With quench tank on cart ***Quench tank mounted on the floor|